Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baked Cinnamon Pears



Day 40

Wow, am I really on Day 40?? So just outside my window is a pear tree that tends to be a little touch and go when it comes to producing fruit. This year, I'm happy to say there is an abundance of Bosc pears that must be eaten. Tonight I decided to make baked pears. The only problem was that I had almost none of the ingredients required, and since it's a Sunday afternoon, I have absolutely no desire to go to the store. Some of the key ingredients necessary included: apple juice, granola, dried mixed fruit, and a number of other less crucial items. My stubborn personality kicked in to high gear and I a. used orange juice b. made my own granola and c. settled for dried cranberries. The result? Perfection. Don't tell me I can't whip up a little something with a little creativity and ingenuity.

Recipe: Serves 4

  • 2 large Bosc pears
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried mixed fruit (such as Sun-Maid Fruit Bits)
  • 1/4 cup low-fat granola
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
Directions

1. Peel pears; cut in half lengthwise. Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove core and seeds, creating a hollow.

2. Place pear halves, with cut sides up, in a glass pie plate. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over pears.

3. Combine cranberries and granola; mound into hollows of the pear halves. Pour the apple juice in and around pear halves. Cover dish loosely with wax paper.

4. Cook in microwave on HIGH 6-8 minutes or until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife. Let stand in the dish 5 minutes. Use a large slotted spoon to transfer the pears to serving plates.

Nutrition Facts (approx)
per serving: 176 calories, 2 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 40 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 16 mg cholesterol, 1 mg iron, 32 mg sodium, 78 mg calcium

Recipe adapted from Health.com

No comments:

Post a Comment