Friday, September 10, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salad




Day 38

Do you like the spice cumin? Yeah? Great because I have an entire jar of it spilled on the floor of my car. All it took was one nascar-style left turn. I'll be paying for that for days it smells like. Feel free to bring your teaspoon and help yourself. At least now I have the mystery solved as to why my car smells like a mediterranean potluck party. Ok back to today's recipe which unfortunately contains no cumin. This recipe is the throw-together type, which means you can play with the ingredients and measurements to your taste. I had a few extra vegetables that I needed to use up so I chopped a little zucchini and squash. This salad is great wrapped up in a tortilla or served as a salsa. It's delicious with some sliced avocado too.

Recipe

1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained

2 cups frozen corn kernels

1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, half a palm full

2 teaspoons hot sauce, just eyeball the amount (recommended: Tabasco)

1 lime, juiced

2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil, eyeball it

Salt and pepper

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 15 minutes for corn to fully defrost and flavors to combine, then toss and serve. The corn will also place a quick-chill on this easy side-salad as it defrosts -- no need to refrigerate!

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment